DV500+ > Is it happy using a PIII 500 cpu?

1 reply [Last post]
glynford

Hi Computer Video Fanz!

I have been using a DC30 for the last 3 years, and I have been offered a project which requires me to update, and I am looking at a DV500+

I can not afford a new built PC, and intend to put the card on my existing PC : Win 98 SE, 256meg memory, 8 gig duel boot drive, 6gig and 12 gig drives for video (all drives ATA33?). ATI Expert 8 meg AGP graphics, Sound Blaster 64, ABIT BE6 motherboard, with CD ROM and CD RAM pluged into ABIT`s ATA 66 on board controller. (I know... why dont I use this for my video stoeage drives?? I have tried, and it did not like it - another subject).

O.K. so the question I have is: Will a DV500+ work with this system, especally as they recommend PIII 550 CPU (Min Rec PII 450?), and mine is a PIII 500? Anyone using similar specs? How slow or fast is it to use? Is the differance between a 500 and a say 700 mHz CPU really noticable? Any problems which I have not thought of - Motherboard compatability (esp the onboard ATA 66?)?

Cheers

Glyn Ford.

rbarry

I have recently installed a new graphics card (ati radeon ve) and a dv500+ into my ageing p2 450. I was assured by the vendor that the "hard work" is done by the capture board and not the processor. This system is working perfectly, with the addition of a 20 gig 7,200 rpm hard disk running in ata33 mode. My original 2nd hard disk used for nle, was 5,400 rpm and while it could handle most of the real time effects, it did struggle now and then, so i replaced it for fear of dropping frames during preview whilst outputting to tape. Having been used to the mjpeg codec, I find the pinnacle dv codec superior (I have an early jvc dv model camcorder with no dv in or out, just composite and s video). I am very pleased with the new combination and feel i can get another couple of years out of the old pc.