PS3 launch in europe/australasia delayed to March 2007

4 replies [Last post]
DVdoctor

Sony finally had to fess up the the fact that they simply cannot build enough PS3's, and that they are having problems building bd devices

We have maintained all along that tying ps3 totally to blu ray was total insanity. In their attempt to force the creation of a bd market, Sony has run the serious risk of turning the ps3 launch into a disaster.

Sharyn

rjpobrien

This is bad news for them isn't it. Missing a Christmas launch is not good. I don't think they are out of the race though. The N64 was released in March in Europe and it sold well. Enthusiasts who could afford it brought the intial batches and by the time stock was back in we were in the Months of June/July. A price drop around October meant it also sold heavily for Christmas. So I guess I'm saying that while a real blow to Sony, if they are smart, they could recover this situation.

Of course, if Microsoft are smart, they'll make damn sure that their HD-DVD add on for the Xbox comes out over here before Christmas. I believe this is still on course and IMO should be Sony's biggest worry.

Richard

DVdoctor

I think that when they write up the case study on this stage in Sony's history it will be a tale of serious misjudgements.

The whole bd thing has become a total kamakazi type thing for Sony to use a politically incorrect expression.

People jokingly are saying Sony is doing a SEGA
Marketing is all about exceeding expectations and delivering

Sony has certainly been having diffuculties on both fronts in this area

Sharyn

DAVE M

A friend was talking to someone who works for Sony and told me (even though I wouldn't want one) not to bother with the new PS3. There's already a PS4 in the board and it'll blow the 3 clean out of the water processing wise

Michael.Bradshaw

That was said of the PS2 as well so maybe when the PS4 is out whatver is next will tempt people to wait.

I was thinking of getting a PS3 for a bit of fun and the hd graphics on my projector would be nice.

I hope Sony pull it off. Maybe we should all pitch in a set up a plant making the laser diodes they are short of :)

EVGA sr-2/ 2x x5850 win7 x64. Editing in Ppro CS5 Shooting on Sony Z7, nex-VG10